Sunday, February 24, 2013

What stops your child from reading?

Some children read because they see it as an example, a role model, but others need some motivation. Sometimes it is not about the model or motivation, but there is a problem to fix. There is something to overcome.
My first reading experience was alright, but not motivating. The second was devastating, stopping me from ever touching the books of the author or any books that looked like the one I was running from. I was ten years old and the book was Kincsereső kisködmön by Móra Ferenc (In English, however the book was never translated: The Treasure-seeking Little Jacket.)
Being so traumatised by a book designed for different children, I didn't read much. I say different, because there are some children who really like this book; maybe i didn't like it because I never liked school assignments. However, I had to find a book that motivated me: Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. I chose it not because my name is Sophie, but because my sister was reading the book before me. Being the third child in the raw made me thrive for role models. The role models of my sister and brother; therefore, I tried to read what they read. This book is not for children, I must admit; however, it can be read by children. Simply because it is lovely as it is. It has the same storyline as the well-known novels for young girls have. Interesting, mysterious, girlish. Everything I needed.
It is not only me, who had difficulties or bad experiences about reading during childhood. Thousands of people have the same experience or lack of motivation, because of the badly designed curricula in schools or the demotivating, uninspiring environment around them. Librarians and activists are trying to solve this problem by setting up book stations next to real bus stations, doing flash mobs on trams or by giving the chance to poor children to read books for free.
The reason is simple: those who don't need will have poor vocabulary, bad language style and psychologically, they will lack standard role models. The essence of reading is always the plot in the book: we live the lives of the characters and we learn from their experience just as much as we learn from real life.
If someone is not reading, it is time to fix their problem.

1 comment:

  1. Very useful thank you. Free sites are a good option, but if you prefer something more professional then you must pay some money. There are some options like ABCmouse.com that you may want to look at.

    ReplyDelete